Search and locate real estate topics and information here:
Service Request Form
REQUEST A PREFERRED AGENT, REAL ESTATE ATTORNEY, OR BROKER IN YOUR AREA. If you have a general question or need to know what report to use, we look forward to assisting you. Email inquiries are responded to promptly.
Questions And Answers Forum
- This forum has 6 topics, 4 replies, and was last updated 2 weeks, 2 days ago by .
- Last Post
Helpful resources and real estate “How To” information
- HOW TITLE IS HELD (Vesting Deeds)
- REAL ESTATE ABBREVIATIONS
- ASSET AND DEBT RECOVERY SERVICES
- RECORD A PROPERTY LIEN IN ARIZONA: WestLDP
- TYPES OF PROPERTY VESTING DEEDS
- MERS (Mortgage Electronic Registration System)
- WHAT LIENS NEED TO BE PAID BEFORE CLOSING AT AUCTION
- REAL ESTATE TERMS AND DESCRIPTIONS
- TITLE VESTING CODES AND ABBREVIATIONS
- REAL ESTATE RECORD CODE DESCRIPTIONS AND ACRONYMS
- COURT CODES AND TRANSLATION
- TYPES OF REAL ESTATE MORTGAGES AVAILABLE
- UNDERSTANDING UCC LIENS
- TYPES OF PROPERTY LIENS
- TYPES OF PROPERTY EASEMENTS
- CONVEYANCE, TITLE TRANSFERS, CHAIN OF TITLE
- HOW TO PERFORM PROPERTY TITLE SEARCHES
- SELLER/CREATIVE FINANCING (HOW IT WORKS)
- THE LENDING PROCESS AND THE COST OF MORTGAGES
- F.S.B.O. (For Sale by Owner)
- US TITLE RECORDS ARTICLES
- DEED RETRIEVAL
- WHAT IS “MARKETABLE TITLE”?
- AUCTION.COM (Nationwide Real Estate Auctions)
- BIGGERPOCKETS (Online Real Estate Investing Community and Forum)
- RETIPPSTER (Online Real Estate Investor Forum, Blog and Investor Resources)
- ABOUT US TITLE RECORDS
- ONLINE REPUTATION MANAGEMENT – (Results-driven online reputation management at affordable monthly prices)
- INSPIRERY – (Magazine style website featuring exclusive interviews with entrepreneurs and executives)
What is a property lien?
A property lien is a debt obligation in which the debtor has executed the right to monetary recovery by means of an instrument or judgment to use the property as collateral to secure the interest related to the real estate, property, and/or land (also considered a type of encumbrance which could produce a cloud on title if not satisfied prior to conveyance). The interest is usually monetary in nature (such as a loan or mortgage) and executed in the form of a judgment, mechanic, HOA, or tax lien. Liens are either voluntary (mortgage, lines of credit) or involuntary (tax liens, judgment liens, etc.) and are executed or “perfected” by recordation. Liens can be enforced through foreclosure proceedings or addressed during a title transfer or conveyance. If the lien amounts are paid before the lien is enforced or during a transfer or sale of the property, it is deemed “released or satisfied.”
In most states, a judgment cannot be recorded with the county unless the case is processed in or transferred to, superior or a higher court (not Justice or City Courts). A general lien is a lien that is placed on and follows an individual. These liens are typically tax liens filed by the federal government, i.e., Internal Revenue Service. A municipal lien is served by a municipality (or municipal authority) against a property owner(s). This is filed when the property owner is to benefit from a public improvement plan by the municipal authority. (Please note that federal and state tax liens may remain attached to the subject property even after a foreclosure, although the principal balances can sometimes be negotiated).